Recently I won case against reputed furniture store M/S Ahaa (www.Ahaa.in) @ Bangalore. I purchased cot & 2 side-tables for 42K, August last year. To my dismay, wood started peeling a month after, I could see powder droppings, wood cracks etc. They did replacement after lot of effort December last year. Again with the new set, same issues resurfaced around Jan ’09.
When I approached them, they just washed off their hands and told nothing is possible from their side. I approached consumer forum (after lot of written communication) and filed case. It took around 3-4 months to get resolution in my favour.
Finally Ahaa people taken back furniture and refunded the entire amount. Two of my IIMB alumni friends Arvind Sinha & Sharada consistently supported me. Special thanks to them for motivating me to pursue the case and overcoming fear of uncertainty. I will suggest approaching consumer forum for any similar issue. Though, it is tedious process but worth getting piece of mind.
– Written communication with opposite party (Ahaa in my case) with sufficient proof
- Mode: Registered post, Fax, Lawyer notice
– Approach consumer forum with written application mentioning following details:
- Opposite party details (address & contact details)
- Your contact details (address & contact details)
- Financial claims (clear numbers, if possible break-up). For example actual amount paid, refund required, mental harassment etc.
- Case details with sequence of action corroborating your claims
– File @ the case at consumer forum (Karnataka forum – http://kscdrc.kar.nic.in/). Application to be submitted in original with 3 Photostat copies
– Hearing details & sequence of action
- 1st date: Your case & claim justification
- Case details send to opposite party by consumer forum
- Opposite party filing there version (response), You will receive copy of the same
- You file your version (response), addressing points raised by opposite party. File your affidavit (Affidavit filing is very important)
- Opposite party defending there version
- You defending your version
- One more argument session (I am not very sure, but in my case this happened)
- Dooms day
– Affidavit is important
Lawyer is optional. If you are sure about the process, no need to hire lawyer. During first hearing, I realized most of the cases are defended by Lawyer. I decided to hire lawyer as well. In my opinion, if somebody would have briefed on the entire process, I myself would have defended the case.